Amy Effman is a Licensed Psychotherapist, certified in Addictions, specializing in Individual, Couples and Family therapy. She maintains a private practice in Boca Raton, Florida and has experience as a Clincal Director, Evening Program Supervisor and Family Services Supervior for various Holistic treatment centers in South Florida.
With over 10 years experience as an Addictions professional both in private and public treatment centers in New York City, San Diego and South Florida, Amy is currently serving as a Private Practitioner, working with a broad spectrum of clients. Among her areas of expertise are substance dependence, dual diagnosis (substance dependence coupled with a mental health disorder), major mental health issues (severe depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia), suicidal thoughts, separation/divorce, relationship problems, LGBT, and day-to-day life stress.
Amy Effman is an interactive, solution-focused therapist. Her therapeutic approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges while staying focused on the present and the future, as we currently have no control of the past. She offers a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With signficant compassion and understanding, Amy works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to achieving.
In addition to being a prominent Addictions therapist, Amy Effman has also taught graduate level courses at Barry University, School of Social Work, and developed and taught courses for the CAP (Certified Addictions Professional) certification and BHT (Behavioral Health Technician) certification programs at Palm Healthcare. She was a presenter for the Happy Herald newspaper and developed both Family Support Workshops and an Intensive Outpatient Program for a holistic treatment center. Most recently, Amy Effman became Post Graduate faculty for Life University's American College of Addictionology and Compulsive Disorders , teaching medical professionals about Drug Court and Interventions.
Prior to Ms. Effman's work as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice, she worked alongside the Misdemeanor Drug Court in Broward County, as a Judicial Evaluator, Therapist and Drug Court Supervisor through The Starting Place. She currently serves Felony drug court participants and provides assessments for DUI programs. Amy Effman was also trained as a Guardian Ad Litem in 1999 when she advocated for abused and neglected children who could not advocate for themselves in Alachua County, Florida. It was this experience which led her into the helping industry and she later received training in Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention in 2000 before spending 3 years as a Career Development Advisor and Career Counselor for a post-secondary college in San Diego, California.
- MS, Masters in Marriage & Family Therapy, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- M.Ed., Masters in Cross-Cultural Education & Diversity, National University, San Diego
- Certification in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Studies, UCSD University of California, San Diego
- BA, Bachelors of Business Administration, University of Florida
- LMFT Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, State of Florida
- CAP Certified Addictions Professional, State of Florida
- CASAC-T, Certified Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselor, Trainee, State of New York
- CADCA Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling Associate, State of California
- First Aid/ CPR with AED for infant, child, adult
- First Aid certified by American Health Care Academy
Professional Activities and Memberships
- FADAA Florida Alcohol and Drug Abuse Association
- FCCMH Florida Council for Community Mental Health
- FADCP Florida Association of Drug Court Professionals
- BAMFT Broward Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- IADEP International Associaton of Eating Disorders Professionals Foundation
- CAMFT California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- FAMFT Florida Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- CAADAC California Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors
- American Cancer Society, Relay for Life Team Captain
- American Heart Association, Certified in CPR and First Aid
- Guardian Ad Litem
- Broward County Gator Club